About Training with DTC

Home / FAQ



What is a Registered Training Organisation

A Registered Training Organisation (RTO) is a company that is registered to deliver nationally recognised qualifications. RTO's have to meet criteria defined in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 and are audited against the criteria regularly.


What are Training Packages?

A Training Package is a set of nationally endorsed competency standards, qualifications and assessment guidelines for a specific industry, industry sector or enterprise: When you obtain a qualification from a training package, the qualification is recognised around Australia.


What are nationally recognised qualifications?

A nationally recognised qualification is recognised in all states and territories. They are identified by the 'Nationally Recognised Training' logo.


What is the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015?

The Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 that guide the activities of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). RTOs are audited against the standards covering all aspects of their business from learning and assessment, to processes for recordkeeping, staff qualifications, financial processes and privacy.


What does 'mixed mode delivery' mean?

Mixed mode delivery simply means that you undertake learning via a combination of delivery methods. This might include classroom based training, mixed with self paced learning, computer based learning, on job learning, tutorials, research, workbooks or similar.


Do I get a certificate for completing a course?

Yes. Providing you achieve competency, you will be awarded a qualification plus an academic transcript which lists all of the units you have completed and the result.


Do I need to 'pass' to get a certificate?

We measure your results in terms of competent or not yet competent. There is no pass or fail. You are either competent (ie you have the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to perform a task or function) or you are not yet competent (ie. Further training is required).


I already have skills and experience. Do I need to complete a course to get a certificate?

No. Most companies will offer a recognition of prior learning (RPL) option.


Am I too old to study?

Vocational training is open to people of all ages.


Why do some training companies charge different fees to other companies?

Training companies are commercial businesses and can set their own fees for courses. Fees are usually reflective of venues, amount of classroom based training and other variables such as resources provided.


However, where the course is offered under a funded arrangement, the participant fee is the same regardless of the company you choose.


Are the courses the same regardless of the training company?

The competency standards used and the qualification issued means the same thing regardless of the company you choose. What might differ are:


  • The units that are selected to make up the qualification
  • The method of training
  • The skills of the trainer
  • Venues
  • Assessment methods
  • Funding arrangements
  • Time taken to complete the qualification



What does being 'competent' mean?

Competency means that you have the appropriate combination of skills, knowledge and attitudes required to undertake a particular task or function.


What if I can't find a course?

Keep in touch with us to be the first to hear about upcoming courses.


Am I eligible for government funding in order to complete a course?

This depends on the nature of the government funding. Some programs, such as new apprenticeships, have specific eligibility requirements based on how long you have been in employment and similar. For more information contact the Department of Education and Training, Student Enquiry Line 1800 020 108.


Check with us for specific advice regarding the funding that applies to courses.


What if I have a complaint regarding a training company?

Complaints regarding training companies should be directed in the first instance to the training company concerned to allow them to respond and possibly address your concerns. Alternatively, you might wish to contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) http://www.asqa.gov.au/complaints/complaints.html


The National Training Complaints Hotline is a joint initiative between the Commonwealth, the state and territory governments.


Anyone with a complaint or query about the training sector now has one number to call, so they can report a complaint and have it referred to the right authority for consideration.


Consumers can register a complaint with the National Training Complaints Hotline by phone: 13 38 73 (please select option 4), Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm nationally. https://www.education.gov.au/NTCH


Can I choose my own training company?

Of course you can. However, if you are enrolling as a trainee or apprentice, you should discuss selection of the training company with your employer. They may already have arrangements in place with a specific company


If you wish to discuss any aspect of our organisation, please don't hesitate to contact us.